Everybody loves sugar, even our dog friends. On the other hand, most people know that sweet delicacies are not recommended and even prescribed for canids. Why are some sugary foods so dangerous to our pitous?
In addition to creating a risk of diabetes and being overweight, it can greatly disrupt their digestive system and in more serious cases, damage the liver.
Here are some explanations about 2 foods that are particularly risky for our companions: chocolate and xylitol.
Chocolate can be found in several forms and types: white chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, baking chocolate etc. A candy that seems harmless but can be very dangerous for our animals. What makes it so harmful to them?
It contains caffeine and theobromine which can be very toxic to animals if consumed in excessive quantities.
Following the consumption of chocolate, here are the physical signs that can be seen on your pitous, depending on the amount consumed:
- Increased heart rate (Tachycardia)
Signs may appear in the following minutes or up to 8 h post-ingestion.
Xylitol is a sweetener that is often found in products called sugar-free. It is often used in many products such as sweets, peanut butter, chocolate and others. With the arrival of some ketogenic diets, we find it even more often in our daily lives.
This additive is particularly dangerous. It is quickly absorbed through the stomach and causes hypoglycemia in your dog. This can even lead to severe liver failure.
The toxic dose is as low as 0.1g/kg, so small ingestion can have serious consequences for your pet’s health.
In conclusion, when ingesting toxic products, always contact your veterinarian as soon as possible to get the appropriate recommendations depending on the product ingested.NEVER MAKE YOUR ANIMAL VOMIT WITHOUT THE AUTHORIZATION OF A VETERINARIAN. Your pet’s life may be at stake, so act quickly and properly.
Source: Audréanne Lupien, Animal Health Technician (ASD)